2003 Archives

Home           Message Board           Report a UFO           Lucky Point           Links            Meetings           Organization   
Three Huntington Officers See Flying Object

26 December, 2003  Hunington, Indiana  (2:30 P.M.)

An off duty Huntington officer was warming up his car when he saw it first. He radioed for an extra set of eyes; he got two. Two fellow officers looked skyward and saw it, too. All three are Huntington law officers, guys who have seen just about everything. But this time, they didn't know what they were seeing. They're hoping someone else might have been looking toward the sky shortly after 2:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 26, and can at least compare notes, if not provide an explanation. The object, seen from just north of the city Police Station, came out of the northwest to the steeple of a near by Catholic Church, then shot straight back north. It didn't make any noise, and it remained in their sight for less than a minute. But it was big  described as the size of a hot air balloon or a backyard trampoline  and low enough that one officer thought it was going to get hung up on the steeple of the church. 

Normally, such an object passing over the city would have lit up emergency lines. But this one didn't. No one called 911; no one called city or county dispatch; and no one called the State Police. The three officers may have been the only ones to see it. And for a few days, they didn't say anything about it. "We thought people would think we were crazy," one said. But now, curiosity has the best of them. Did anyone else see it? And what was it? 

The officer making the original sighting had finished his shift at 2:30 p.m. the day after Christmas and was warming up his car, parked across police station. He was sitting in the car, facing north. "It came from a long ways off," he said, describing the sighting a week later. "First it looked like a parachute that you can steer, black and curved, but there was nobody in it. It started rolling, a slow roll, and turned upside down. Then it looked like a giant set of bird wings. It did more rolls, and turned into an oblong circle that was orange. It wasn't any kind of flying machine that I can think of, and it's not like a '50s flying saucer. It was that big, but it didn't have a hump in the middle."

The second officer who answered the call said his first impression was that it was "a tire" in the sky, but that made no sense. The first officer said the object changed shape three or four times. It moved in a straight line, tumbling as it moved, and made no noise. 

The third officer to verify the sighting had just walked out the stations backdoor, heard the radio traffic and looked up. "It was so big, within no time at all I spotted it," he said. "When I first saw it, it was going in a flat plane, hovering, moving slowly right toward the church. It would glide, rotate the wide way around, and stay at one level, then it stopped, began moving in a circular motion, and turned bright orange. It went flat again, and hovered over the steeple". 

The officers believe the object turned orange when it reflected the sunlight, like a compact mirror would if you twirled it. It appeared to be moving along at treetop level, no higher than the roof of the church. It disappeared from the first officers view after it went behind the church steeple, but the other two officers  who had slightly different vantage points  said it went behind the steeple and moved directly north. The second and third officers were 30 to 35 feet apart. The agreed the sighting lasted 30-45 seconds.
Other statements included the object was completely circular, dome shaped. "I can't imagine how it could possibly be anything I could relate to. The object would stop and then spin slowly, a maneuver no known aircraft can accomplish. I was never really afraid, just in total amazement." 

The pastor of the Catholic Church, said he didn't see anything unusual that afternoon, and hasn't received any phone calls from anyone who did. "That's the first I've heard of it," he said Friday. 

Managers at the Huntington Municipal Airport and Fort Wayne's Smith Field said there were no records of any out-of-the-ordinary craft making either a takeoff or landings. 

Investigator: Roger Sugden  ASD- North/CI   Thanks to Huntington Herald Press

Investigators Comments:  The description of the object's movement is not unreported in the annals of UFO sightings. It's pretty common that such an reported object comes over, stops and hovers. This is not the first time a tumbling motion has been reported, and then it moves off. The size and movement of the object have eliminated most common possibilities. Investigation still in process. 

Three Witness Describe Unusual Object

2 March, 2003  Logansport, Indiana   (Approx 8:00 PM EST)

At approximately 8:00 PM a young male and female witness heard sirens while in a house in the city and decided and to go outside and investigate. The weather was partly cloudy with stars visible and windy. Upon leaving the house the female witness noticed something in the sky down the block behind the house and over factories near the boarder of town. They walked down the block and observed an illuminated object zigzagging just above the treetops 300 to 500 feet away. They concluded after they had observed the object that it was no airplane or some other object known to them. The male witness has had three previous sightings, one with another witness, all in the last several months. After walking down the block they lost sight of the object and decided to go to a school about six blocks away where the male witness had previous had a sighting. After taking about two minutes to drive to the school, they arrived to see the same object this time getting very near the ground. The object faded from sight and then appeared above the tree tops to the south, an estimated quarter mile from the witnesses. The witnesses described the object as barbell shaped with the end objects more semicircle shaped than circular. It had a yellow-orange glow with a red light rotating below the center cylinder connecting the two semicircle ends together. What sound they could detect was a low pulsing hum and their cell phone seemed to cut out. 

The female witness was frightened at this point and asked the male witness not to pursue the object after they again lost sight of it behind trees. As they were leaving the school grounds the male witness spotted the object again. 

All witness agreed upon the events of the 
sighting and the description. 

Investigator:  Stewart Hill SSD

WUFOD  I..2-464

Bluish White Disk

24 December, 20037:00 P.M. Heltonville, Indiana

On the night of DEC 24 about 7 pm I was at the house that I'm moving to in January. In the bathroom there is a sky light. It was dark in the room when it lit up and looked like daylight. I put my coat on and went outside to see and what I seen kind of freaked me out. This is just south of lake Monroe on State Road 446 in Heltonville. As I walk out the back door the pasture next door to the house was lit up like day and hanging about 200 feet above the pasture was a bluish white disk very bright. It moved Northeast slowly as it moved above the woods, shots of bright light were shot down into the woods. 

When I got back inside I looked at the clock to make sure I had no missing time and thank god I didn't. The strange thing about it was I was back out watching even though I was a little uneasy.

Bright Light

December, 20037: P.M  Deerborn, Indiana; Lawrenceburg County

A male witness was out walking his dog when a bright light was observed in southwestern sky. This was the third time the witness observed the light. On the previous sightings the light just disappeared. The light remained visible upon the witness returning home. Witness went back outside to check if the light was still there. The light was observed for ten minutes and was seen by two other witness at a separate location; a female adult and an adolescent male. Cloud cover was over 5000 feet. Light was 15-20 degrees elevation with an estimated altitude of over 500 feet and appeared stationary from the ground. The light appearance was a glowing, disc shape star-like, color white with no change of color. The dogs reaction was indifference. 


Baseball Size Object

31, December 2003 7:30 P.M. Kimpton, Indiana; Tipton County

A computer technician, I was servicing a home computer in Kempton, Indiana. I found the CMOS BIOS settings all wrong in the computer in question. Also the hard disk drive was not responding to efforts of recovery. Upon discovering these problems the customer asked what would cause this. Jokingly I responded with a question, "Has there been any UFO activity here in Kempton recently?" She shrugged her shoulders and said "not that she knew of". The reason was because the customer had no idea how to enter the BIOS and nobody but her and her husband uses the computer. It was about 730 PM or so when I decided to take her system with me for further trouble shooting. As I placed the PC in the backseat of my car I noticed a bright white light in the south west mostly west sky at about a 50 degree angle. There were trees slightly blocking my view so when I pulled out to leave I went in its direction. I had a friend waiting on me so I was eager to return ASAP. But my curiosity was at least compelling enough to guide me to the edge of the town of Kempton to take a peak. As I went around the block and I stopped at the main street beside the train tracks I saw it. It was a very clear night sky with a baseball sized object hovering just west of town. I was captivated by it, but I was thinking of getting home for New Years Eve. So I decided to turn left and head home. The object was visible the entire trip back home. I thought I seen it began to move so I had to stop to confirm it. It was moving in a swaying motion to the left, right, up, down, and doing loops. I also seen three cars stopped on a crossroad observing it on my way back. I went to the back yard at my home and could still see it in the southwest night sky. My friend wanted to go out to a club so I decided to stay home wanting to save money. Anyway I continued to observe it as long as I could, it was cold that night. It was still moving in the same manner as I described above. A family member called me from his workplace, and asked me for a ride home. He closed the gas station at 11 PM, and I left the house about 20 minutes till 11 PM. The last time I seen the UFO was about 10:20 about the time he called for the ride. It was starting to change to a yellow orange color, and trees on the horizon were blocking my view. The sighting duration was about 2 hours and 20 minutes give or take a few minutes. 

I attend school in Indianapolis and see this object quite often while returning from class. I reported one that me and a fellow student seen late 2003 at ITT. I think it was the main MUFON site that I reported it at. I found the Indiana MUFON site surfing for any Indiana sightings to see if anyone else had seen and reported the Kempton UFO. I have had sightings my whole life and have always been caught without a camera. That is going to change because it seems that the number of sightings is increasing. Since late summer I have seen more UFOs than I've seen my entire life until now.

Current Notes:
The sky was clear during this sighting. Lowest altitude was 500 feet or less, flight pattern was hovering, jumping around, fading in and out, wobbling. Shape was oval or ellipse, surface glowing. Apparent baseball size at 100 to 500 feet. Light steady, color changed white to  yellow/orange. Possibly affected computer?

WUFOD I..3-061

Approximate description of object reported during this sighting.